Mission Nuestra Senora de la Soledad was built in 1791 and is the 13th of the 21 California missions. It was named for Our Lady of Solitude. It may be hard to believe now, but Soledad Mission's lands once shared a border with those of Mission San Carlos Borromeo in Carmel. Soledad Mission's property also contained a large vineyard, perhaps the forerunner of Soledad wine country.
The Museum Chapel that stands today was built in 1828 and restored in 1954. The museum, open daily except Tuesdays, is free; fundraisers and donations make continued restoration efforts possible. At the rear of the quadrangle, the ruins of the original adobe can be seen.
Fly direct from these five airports: Denver International Airport (DEN) Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) McCarran International Airport (LAS) Phoenix Skyharbor International Airport (PHX) San Francisco International Airport (SFO) San Diego International Airport (SAN)
Funded in cooperation with the Monterey County Board of Supervisors and the communities of Pebble Beach Company, Carmel-by-the-Sea, Del Rey Oaks, Marina, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Salinas, Sand City, Seaside, Moss Landing, Carmel Valley, Big Sur, and Salinas Valley.