back to previous page

The Royal Presidio Chapel (San Carlos Cathedral)

500 Church Street, Monterey, CA 93940

what’s nearby

The Royal Presidio Chapel is the only surviving building from the Spanish Presidio era and the oldest building in Monterey. The Chapel was founded by Father Juniperio Serra in 1770, pre-dating the nearby Mission San Carlos in Carmel, CA. The Chapel holds many historic works of art including the oldest non-indigenous sculpture in California.

The Royal Presidio Chapel Heritage Center is located in the Parish Offices Building located to the east of the Chapel/Cathedral. Displays include a relic of the Vizcaíno-Serra Oak, drawings and photos of the Chapel, items found during the recent archaeological dig and pieces of the whale-bone sidewalk that once led to the Church.

Facility Info