Coastal Kitchen, Monterey
Monterey County celebrated culinary and wine talent this week with multiple awards granted to Caraccioli Cellars and recognition from MICHELIN Guide California for numerous restaurants throughout the county. During the Champagne & Sparkling Wine World Championships 2022, Caraccioli Cellars from Santa Lucia Highlands AVA took home three prestigious titles: Best USA Sparkling Wine (2016 Blanc de Blanc) and was awarded two gold awards for Best in Class California Brut Vintage (2016 Brut Cuvée) and Best in Class California Rose Vintage (2016 Brut Rosé).
Coraccioli Cellars, Carmel-by-the-Sea
Parlaying off the wine achievements, culinary up-and-comers stand out throughout the county with Coastal Kitchen, the county’s newest tasting menu experience by Chef Michael Rotondo located inside the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, Chef Jonny Black’s Chez Noir, the latest addition to MICHELIN’s recommendations, Chef Michael Chang’s forage-centric restaurant Foray, and Maligne, Seaside’s elevated restaurant by local mainstay, Chef Klaus Georis.
The agricultural bounty of Monterey County has inspired chefs, winemakers and sommeliers throughout the years. Longstanding notables like Aubergine, Cantinetta Luca, Post Ranch Inn’s Sierra Mar and Bernardus Lodge & Spa’s Lucia continue to be celebrated by locals and visitors alike. MICHELIN announced the recipients Monday night; Aubergine, helmed by Chef Justin Cogley, maintained its status as a one-star restaurant, while Yafa continues its recognition as a Bib Gourmand.
Chez Noir, Carmel-by-the-Sea
In addition, 15 restaurants are recommended by MICHELIN as must-stops for epicureans throughout Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey, Pebble Beach and Seaside.
In the world’s most prestigious sparkling wine competition, The Champagne & Sparkling Wine World Championships 2022 (CSWWC), Caraccioli Cellars earned three placements out of the 1,000 sparkling wines submitted from 21 countries:
- Best USA Sparkling Wine, Best Californian, GOLD, Best in Class California Blanc de Blancs Vintage: Caraccioli 2016 Blanc de Blanc, Santa Lucia Highlands, California, United States (75cl, 12%)
- 100% Chardonnay (White, 6g RS)
- GOLD, Best in Class California Brut Vintage: Caraccioli 2016 Brut Cuvée, Santa Lucia Highlands, California, United States (75cl, 12%)
- 60% Chardonnay, 40% Pinot Noir (White, 6g RS)
- GOLD, Best in Class California Rosé Vintage: Caraccioli 2016 Brut Rosé, Santa Lucia Highlands, California, United States (75cl, 12%)
- 60% Chardonnay, 40% Pinot Noir (Rosé, 6g RS)
Learn more about Monterey County’s culinary developments and locally procured dining experiences here.