The 52nd Annual Monterey Scottish Games & Celtic Festival is coming soon to celebrate the best of Scottish culture, competition, food and entertainment! On August 3rd and 4th, the Monterey County Fair & Event Center transforms into Scotland and Ireland with an array of fun activities including bagpipe competitions and the Drum Major Contest, thrilling athletic games of strength, Highland dancing, and much more!
Bring the whole family and let your wee ones compete in the fun Scottish Festival's "Kids' Games" on site. Enjoy history that comes to life that weekend with Mary Queen of Scots and her beautifully costumed court, Sjórvaldar Vikings, Vaden Forge demonstrations, sheepdog and duck herding and many other unique Celtic sights and activities.
Here are the Top 10 reasons why you shouldn’t miss this piping hot event!
- Prepare to be amazed by the sounds of award-winning bagpipe bands and solo pipers and drummers performing in their traditional kilts.
- Feast on delicious meat pies, bangers and mash, fish and chips, Scottish scones and shortbread and wash it all down with a refreshing Guinness beer or other beverage.
- Learn the fascinating history of one of Scotland’s greatest exports—fine, single malt Scotch Whisky and sign up for the whisky tasting seminars both days!
- Gaze in wonder at the amazing strength of both male and female athletes participating in the many athletic events, including the famous Caber Toss, Weight for Distance & Height, and the Sheaf Toss.
- Trace your own family history and tartan in the Clan Village and visit with friendly Clan representatives.
- Enjoy top Celtic entertainment performed by great musicians including Seamus Kennedy, Tempest and Chris Baldwin.
- Enjoy living history presentations and learn more about life in 16th century Scotland and the 10th century Viking era.
- Shop for unique Scottish, British and Irish crafts, jewelry, and clothing, including kilts, capes and sweaters.
- Take in the amazing sights of the talented Highland dancers as they perform classic dances in gorgeous costumes.
- Bring the kids to enjoy the fun mini-athletic events (such as the mini-caber toss, pillow over the bar, and golf putting), and the Celtic Quest fun for prizes.
Visit the official Monterey Scottish Games & Celtic Festival's website for more information. One day tickets are $15 and two-day tickets are $20 in advance.
Photo Credits: Monterey Scottish Games and Celtic Festival and Robert Coble